Leaving my mark where I have been, but always looking forward to where I'm going...

Friday, February 5, 2010

Thinking Forward

Considering the name of my blog, I decided that it'd only be prudent to write about why I chose it in the first place. I am of the opinion that everything and everyone is always changing- whether conscious of it or not. "Thinking Forward" is how I describe being aware of that change that is taking place in me, and thoughtfully governing that change to an outcome that I believe to be the correct identity for my life. So, this blog is to be a tool for me to track and assess my development over a long period of time. I believe that when people express their thoughts, that they express the level of maturity at which they are currently operating. My hope, is to see a constant, if gradual, rise in the maturity of my writing and thoughtfulness. Mainly, I just want to have the ability to get some of my thoughts out of my head and into a place where they can be both expressed and (hopefully) discussed. That said, I encourage anyone reading this to pause today, and "think forward" about the person you'd like to become. What are you doing to achieve that growth? Is your mental picture just a physical one (vocation, family, location), or do you see a spiritual aspect (faith, maturity, relationship) of the growth that you'll have to strategically cultivate? How does the current you match up to the ultimate you that you would like to see yourself become? What resources do you have to aid you in this task?

Just a couple questions to fuel conversation. Not all postings will be like this, but I think it is good for the introduction to this blog.

6 comments:

  1. I like your idea of "Thinking Forward". I never understood the concept of setting, assessing, and adjusting goals until I, as you stated, began to think forward to who I want to be rather than what I want to do...It's so important to have a goal for the you that you are intent on becoming...Thanks for the insight!

    -xhopeful

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you. i think its not only importance to try and grow physically, but spiritually also, whatever your personal definition of the word is. when you learn new information that can be benificial to your life i believe that its your responsibility to incorporate it into your lifestyle however you see fit. that way you are not forever at a standstill in your life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments gigi and hopeful.

    Just for continued conversation-sake, do you think you'd mind talking about a couple of goals you've set for yourself, and what processes you've had to go through (or are still going through) to achieve them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think i got to my maturity level (not saying its high or anything) by the things i had to go through when i was younger, i was sick alot, and always thought i wasnt gonna wake up the next morning. i think that taught me to try and make the most out of life, and helped me grow spiritually. when your constantly afraid it pushes you to look for answers. my goals in life are pretty simple, to come to a place in life where i can be happy and content with who i am, but with a balance, and to impact someones life for the better, even if its just one haha. what about you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. First off, I agree with what you were saying about past experiences really forcing us to move forward because they put us in an uncomfortable position. For instance, you talked about how you had been sick a lot as a child- most people would look at that and think "Man that wasn't a good thing", but you can look at it and say "That was really rough, but if it hadn't happened I would not have the strength and courage that I do today". I think that being able to look at a situation like that and see personal growth and maturity is amazing.

    My goal, is to become the best man that I can possibly be. I want to be responsible, resolute, constantly improving, a good father/husband, and a positive impact on my world. Some of the processes I'm going through to achieve that include: study in college, taking on responsibility at work, interaction with my pastor and other strong men in my life, things like this blog that help me to see how I am progressing, and even discussions that I have with my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think those are great goals! its both scarey and enlightnening to realize how fragile life is. but once we do we can spend more of our time doing the things we love and helping others, like the poor and sick who cant always help themselves.

    ReplyDelete